Gonal-f RFF 75 IU Vial™
What is Gonal-f RFF?
Gonal-f RFF 75 IU Vial™ (follitropin alfa for injection) is a type of fertility injection used to promote healthy hormonal stimulation in women during ovulation. The treatment aids in the production and release of a woman’s egg to help it fully mature into a pregnancy. Gonal-f® RFF may be prescribed to men, as well, to help improve sperm production.
Tips for Self-Administering Gonal-f RFF at Home
Before you begin your Gonal-f RFF injection, you’ll want to have the following items available on a clean, flat surface:
- Gonal-f RFF IU Powder
- Pink Mixing Needle
- Red Injection Needle
- Prefilled Syringe
- Alcohol Swabs
- Sterile Gauze
- Sharps Container
Once your materials are laid out, wash your hands with soap and water to remove any germs or bacteria before mixing your prescribed medication.
Step 1 (Mix Gonal-f RFF Powder)
- Using your thumb, flip the protective plastic cap off the Gonal-f RFF vial. Gently wipe the bottle with an alcohol swab. Next, while holding the barrel of the prefilled syringe in one hand, firmly hold its plastic white cap between your thumb and forefinger before gently pulling it off.
- Next, remove the safety seal cover from your pink needle. Carefully twist the mixing needle on your prefilled syringe, until it is securely fastened. Holding the barrel of the syringe, remove the needle cap.
- With the vial sitting on a flat surface. Insert the pink needle straight down into the marked center circle of the rubber stopper. Slowly inject water into the vial by pushing down on the plunger. Leave the pink needle and syringe in the vial. Gently rotate the vial between your fingers, back and forth, until the powder is completely dissolved.
- Remember not to shake the vial. If you notice bubbles appear, wait a few minutes for them to settle. Your medication is ready when the liquid substance becomes clear.
Step 2 (Draw Up the Liquid Dosage)
- Without removing the pink needle, invert the vial and slowly pull back the needle as far as needed. Begin withdrawing the entire contents of the vial into the syringe. Remember to keep the tip of the needle in the vial the whole time. Once you have drawn up the solution, remove the pink needle away from the empty vial.
- Gently move the plunger back to allow for a small air space before recapping the needle. To remove the mixing pink needle, gently twist it off the syringe and discard in your sharps container.
- Next, remove the safety seal cover from the red needle and with the cap in place, twist onto the syringe.
- After removing the cap of the red needle, point your syringe upwards and gently tap it with your finger. Next, begin slowly pushing the plunger until all the bubbles are gone. Lay the syringe on a clean, flat surface.
Step 3 (Gonal-f RFF Injection)
- Depending on your doctor’s instructions, you’ll want to inject your treatment on either the abdomen area, upper arm, or upper leg. To help minimize discomfort, your prescriber may recommend you change the injection site each day.
- With an alcohol swab, be sure to clean the area first and allow it to air dry.
- Hold the syringe with one hand, as you would hold a pencil, and use your other hand to pinch the cleaned abdomen area. Insert the entire length of the needle at a 90-degree angle, as indicated by your doctor or nurse.
- Release the skin and begin pushing the plunger in a slow, steady motion, until all medicine is injected.
- Gently remove the needle from your skin and begin applying pressure to the area with gauze. Afterward, you may discard the empty syringe and needle in your sharps container.
FAQs About Gonal-f RFF
Q: What are Some Side Effects of Gonal-f RFF?
A: Side effects of Gonal-f RFF may include severe pain or bloating in the abdomen or pelvic area, upset stomach, vomiting, or weight gain. Serious side effects may also include blood clotting. If you experience any of these symptoms, contact your primary care provider.
Q: Is Gonal-f RFF Effective?
A: Gonal-f RFF is not suitable for everyone, including women who are pregnant, have primary ovarian failure, have a history of abnormal bleeding from the uterus or vagina, have ovaries that are no longer producing eggs, or have an allergic reaction to ingredients in this medication.
Q: Does Gonal-f RFF Need to Be Refrigerated?
A: Your Gonal-f RFF prescription may be refrigerated or stored at room temperature between 36 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit. Remember to keep your prescription out of direct sunlight.
Find Gonal-f RFF Injection Support and Education
Want to learn more about the uses and benefits of Gonal-f RFF? The friendly, professional pharmacy staff at Mandell’s Clinical Pharmacy are available 24/7 to address your concerns, help you discover beneficial services and financing options, and offer support throughout your fertility treatment plan.