Ovidrel (choriogonadotropin alfa for injection)
What is Ovidrel and How Does It Work?
As part of your fertility treatment plan, your doctor may prescribe you Ovidrel® PreFilled Syringe (choriogonadotropin alfa injection) to support healthy ovulation. To help you prepare for each injection and understand how to administer this medication, when to take Ovidrel®, and what side effects you might experience, please read the following Ovidrel® instructions and watch our informational video.
How to Inject Ovidrel at Home
Before administering your medication, you’ll want to designate a clean flat surface in your bathroom to begin assembling all the necessary materials you’ll need, including:
- Your Ovidrel® PreFilled Syringe
- Alcohol Swabs
- Sharps Container
Once your materials are laid out, wash your hands carefully with soap and water for at least 20 seconds to remove any germs or bacteria.
Ovidrel Instructions (Step 1-5):
- Begin by pointing the needle upward and removing the needle cap from the syringe. If you notice any bubbles inside your Ovidrel® injectable, keep the needle pointed upwards and begin tapping on the syringe with your finger. Next, begin pushing the plunger carefully, until a small drop of liquid appears on the needle’s point.
- Choose an injection area around your abdomen—at least one inch away from your belly button. Next, using an alcohol swab, clean this area and allow it to air dry.
- Hold the syringe with one hand, as you would hold a pencil, and use your other hand to pinch the cleaned abdomen area. Insert the entire length of the needle at a 45 to 90 degree angle, as indicated by your doctor or nurse.
- Release the skin and begin pushing the plunger in a slow, steady motion, until all medicine is injected.
- Gently remove the needle from your skin and begin applying pressure to the area with gauze. Afterward, you may discard the empty syringe in your sharps container.
FAQs About Ovidrel Injections
What Is Ovidrel®?
Ovidrel® contains recombinant human choriogonadotropin alfa (hCG), an injectable hormone that causes a woman’s eggs to finish maturing and be released during ovulation.
When Do I Take Ovidrel®?
Ovidrel® is typically prescribed during the last cycle of your fertility treatment.
How Do I Store Ovidrel®?
Store at room temperature between 59°F and 77°F (15°C and 25°C) for up to 30 days or refrigerate at a temperature of 36°F to 46°F (2°C to 8°C) until expiration date. Remember to protect your Ovidrel® from light.
What if I Miss an Injection?
It is crucial that this dose be given EXACTLY at the date and time instructed by your physician. If you miss your scheduled dose, you must immediately contact your physician for instructions.
What Are Common Ovidrel®Side Effects?
Common side effects include local discomfort, bruising, and soreness at the injection site; ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) (excessive fluid retention and severe abdominal discomfort), ovarian enlargement, headache, irritability, restlessness, depression, fatigue, edema, precocious puberty. There is potential for thromboembolic events (chest tightness).
Other side effects may include ovarian enlargement, headache, irritability, restlessness, depression, fatigue, edema, ovarian cysts, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, breast pain, flatulence, abdominal enlargement, and itching.
If you or a loved one exhibits any side effects, OHSS (e.g. abdominal cramps, bloating, abdominal discomfort), or difficulty breathing, contact your doctor immediately!
What if I Don’t Have a Sharps Container?
If you do not own an FDA-cleared sharps disposal container, you may use a household container that meets the following guidelines:
- Made of heavy-duty plastic
- Fitted with a tight, puncture-resistant lid
- Leak resistant, upright, and stable during use
- Properly labeled to warn others of hazardous waste contained inside
To learn more about sharps disposal, visit www.fda.gov/safesharpsdisposal
Find Ovidrel® Injection Support and Education
Have more questions about using Ovidrel® as part of your fertility treatment? The highly trained pharmacy staff at Mandell’s Clinical Pharmacy are available 24/7 to address your concerns,help you discover beneficial services and financing options, and offer support throughout your journey with infertility.